By the subject line, you are probably a little curious how my week went. Well, let me tell you, it was a fun one!
- First and foremost, I got a unicorn onsie cause it seemed like a good idea, its probably the best purchase ever made, but it is a little weird to sleep with a tail. haha
- We were teaching one of our new investigators and his friend decided to join us and in the middle of the lesson he stands up and says,”Hey, wanna hear a newfie jig?” and then he started to dance around moving his arms like a chicken singing,”I got my stems.” over and over. Needless to say he was a little on the drunk side! haha.
- Tender Mercies this week were numerous!! NEW INVESTIGATOR ON DATE! We taught him the restoration and he asked really good questions and you could just see the spirit working in him and then at the end he asked,”So when I need to fix my car and use a manual to fix it, is the Book of Mormon like the manual to life?”..and we were like.. yea.. and he was like.. okay then I want to do EVERYTHING it says and so we committed him to be baptized on Dec 3rd!! So excited:)
- I ate SEAL FLIPPER, Cod, and Smelt the other day, so that was an adventure!! Weirdly enough, seal flipper is probably one of the better seafoods I have had. Fresh Cod isnt too shabby either, and smelt is.. fishy!! haha Love the Newfie Culture:)
- I am learning ASL!! We are teaching two deaf people right now and luckily my companion knows a little sign language. I have been studying and I can offcially introduce myself, teach the Apostacy, and bar a simple testimony, and its only been a week!! So, the man upstairs has been a huge help! They sign so fast though! haha. It will come!!
I have learned so much since I entered the mission field, but because I have now approached the end of my second transfer, I was really pondering on what I have REALLY learned, something that I didn’t even realize before. And the first thing that came to my mind was
-How Powerful Satan Actually Is-
It is definitely a subject that we try not to focus on a whole lot, but it is VERY REAL and VERY DANGEROUS. There is a lesson in Joseph Smith’s first vision that at one time or another we will all face. Elder Jeffery R. Holland said,” It is the plain and very sobering truth that before great moments, certainly before great spiritual moments, there can come adversity, opposition, and darkness.” Even before the most revelatory moment in modern religious history, Joseph Smith was ,”seized upon… by thick darkness… as if [he] were doomed to sudden destruction.” But exerting all his powers he, ” called upon God to deliver [him] out of the power of this enemy.” (JSH 1:15-16) Shortly thereafter, the Father and the Son appeared to him, and the dispensation of the fullness of times had begun.
He did not retreat, nor did he draw back, but he pushed through firmly and the power of Satan departed,” always to come again, we can be sure, but always to be defeated by the glory of God, always.”
Satan is opposition in all things. Think of a time when you were approaching a big decision or a very influential moment in your life. For me, I relate this to the people that I am teaching as they are making their “significant step” on whether or not to believe in this work. Satan does not want us to find out the TRUTH! I have seen this over and over as people receive their own divine witness that the Book of Mormon and the Church which espouses it is true, only to be overcome by doubt, fear, opposition, or in other words, Satan. Distracting them from the plain and simple truths of the everlasting gospel
. Our faith WILL be tested. We will have to fight through self-doubts and second thoughts, but at those times we must “resist the temptation to panic and give up. At those times fear will be the strongest of the adversary weapons against us.”
Moses taught,” Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord… The Lord shall fight for you.”
I testify that the power of Satan’s grasp on someone can be unbelievably binding. I have seen it. People who can’t even see a way to LIVE without following it. But the hopeful thing is, that GOD’S POWER IS UNFAILING. Truth and light always win. And Elder Holland says it so clearly and bold:
“Don’t let your guard down. Don’t assume that a great revelation, some marvelous, illuminating moment, the opening of an inspired path, is the end of it. Remember, it isn’t over until it’s over.”
Love you all, Sister Kilmer
***NOTE*** MOMENTS AFTER WRITING THIS SISTER KILMER FOUND OUT THAT SHE WAS BEING TRANSFERRED TO PRESQUE ISLE, MAINE!!! GOOGLE IT, IT’S AMAZING! 🙂